Monday 13 February 2012

Les Ananas Ne Parlent Pas

Image text: 파인애플들은 말안해요
Intended translation: Pineapples don't talk!

This image is, of course, a reference to the French TV series Téléfrançais that was produced by TVOntario back in the day (before I was born). The line "les ananas ne parlent pas" (pineapples don't talk) is repeated frequently in the first episode of the series. Apparently, there are a lot of people in Canada who know this one French line without knowing anything else in the language.

In my attempt to translate the phrase into Korean, I ran into a couple grammatical things I hadn't seen before. In particular, I needed to figure out how to negate a verb (I'm using the '안' particle-like-thingamajig here) and how pluralization works (I went with tacking on a '들' before the '은' subject identifier). Is any of this correct? I don't know, but I'm sure I'll find out sooner or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment